Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Win Some Lose Some

It's been a tough few weeks for my Georgia Bulldogs, and not such a happy environment around the Dailey household. But even with the doom and gloom associated with learning how to love despite losing, my favorite season is taking residence here in the south! It's been down right chilly and I've even gotten to wear a coat to work in the mornings.

And with this I bring you the last pumpkin recipe of the season.

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

Here's where I found the recipe originally.

As always, first things first we assemble the ingredients.
 
 
Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl first (flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg).


Then combine the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. We've talked about the importance of this process previously when we made the pumpkin pound cake, but basically this puts a lot of air in the dough which will help the cookies rise, which is an essential part of a snickerdoodle!
 
 After you've creamed the butter and sugars together, add in the pumpkin.
 
Then slowly add the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar/pumpkin mixture until it comes together in a dough. If you've never made snickerdoodles before, the dough will be extremely sticky and that's completely normal. To help the cookie making process easier, chill the dough for at least an hour until it's nice and firm.

 
After your dough has chilled, it's time to add the sugar mixture to the top. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon, ginger and allspice on a plate.


Now you're going to dip a glass in some water to wet the bottom and then dip in the sugar mixture. I set up an assembly line to make it a bit easier and contain any mess!
 


 
With the sugar-coated glass you'll press down each cookie until coated with sugar and flattened slightly.

 

 
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Let them cool for 5 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Then enjoy the taste of fall!
 



You can find a printable version of this recipe here.

THE REVIEW:
So, if you don't know, snickerdoodles happen to be my favorite cookie. I am somewhat of the snickerdoodle expert in my family and I make them every year for Christmas. That being said, I'm probably a little more harsh on this recipe than the average pumpkin recipe because of my absolute love of these cookies. The pumpkin version did taste good, however, the texture was off a bit for me. The pumpkin, as it does in most recipes, made the cookie kind of spongy. Instead of a crisp coating and an airy and chewy center, these were more cakey in consistency. So, although they tasted good the texture will probably turn me off enough to not make them again without some serious tweaking of the recipe. I would definitely try draining the pumpkin and hopefully the decrease in moisture will also decrease the cake-y-ness of the overall cookie.

Here's my recipe review card.

So unfortunately we close out the pumpkin recipe reviews with a bit of a let down for me, but hopefully it'll be a good recipe for you guys to try out and I'll keep hope that good things are on the horizon for us!

Stay tuned for my next post where I'll show you how we celebrated Potter-ween!!

<3 ME

No comments:

Post a Comment